Austrian Institute of Historical Research
Established in 1854, the Austrian Institute of Historical Research (Institut für Österreichische Geschichtsforschung, IÖG) is an internationally recognised research and educational facility for methodological training and the practice of auxiliary historical disciplines (palaeography, diplomatics, the study of administrative records, primary source studies, etc.) in their cultural historical context.
Currently located in the main building of the University of Vienna on the Vienna Ringstraße, the institute is since January 1, 2016 a scientific organisational unit of the University of Vienna at the Faculty of Historical and Cultural Studies, on basis § 40a University Law from 2002. Before it was an academic institution of the Austrian State (a department attached to the Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy).
The academics at the institute research and present Austrian history within the European context across various epochs, do leading work on international projects critically editing and publishing historical sources, and communicate their research results in publications for interested members of the public—all while also teaching at the University of Vienna. Our institute has published (since 1880) a regular periodical entitled „Mitteilungen des Instituts für Österreichische Geschichtsforschung“ (abbreviated as MIÖG, the name can be translated into English as “ Journal of the Austrian Institute of Historical Research”) and produces several series of publications. It has long played the role of an Austrian school of archive studies and regularly organises lectures and also a yearly international congress and other conferences and workshops.